Unlike hair dyes, hair chalk is entirely suitable for home use. You don’t need a visit to the salon to dramatically change your hair color! Now experiments with colors and shades can be carried out at home without acquiring several types of chemical dyes (why natural hair dye is a myth – check on Harpers Bazaar). Want to give your strands a pink, blue, orange, or red hue? Using colored chalks is simple even if you do this for the first time.
Why Do You Need a Hair Chalk?
Hair chalk is one of those products that I can safely recommend to any of you, with its help you can easily change the shade of your hair. You can highlight certain strands, emphasize the bangs line, make an element of variety in your everyday hairstyle. These instant dyes are also indispensable for creating stylish and colorful looks for parties and club parties.
Hair chalk is really fun for if you want to try out a fashion color—like blue or pink—but aren’t ready to make the leap and actually dye your hair,Bridget Kinney, senior hairstylist and colorist at the Patrice Vinci salon in Boston, MA.
Why Is It Important to Choose the Right One?
The modern market for cosmetics offers a lot of variations on hair chalks. All of them can be divided into two main groups:
Fatty – have a creamy texture, reminiscent of ordinary shadows.
Dry – presented in the form of pencils.
The composition may be different. For example, fortified products are more suitable for dry, brittle and weak strands. For colored hair, it is worth choosing a crayon with a softening effect. If your curls are absolutely healthy, you can safely dye them with chalk without additives.
Professional hair chalks are always more expensive. They are completely harmless, and therefore even children can use them. When choosing colored chalks for hair, give preference to famous brands. The reason is in the quality.
Range of colors
A set may contain from 6 to 46 colors. Don’t be guided “The more, the better“. You need to choose the color according to your hair shade. Follow these tips when buying a set of chalk pens. Be sure that the necessary color is in the box.
For blonde hair: lilac, gray, red, black; pink.
For dark hair: turquoise, violet, golden, green, white, blue.
How to Use Hair Chalk to Achieve the Desired Result?
It is advisable to be in clothing that you will not mind stain. You must select the right colors to transform the image. Then, you should do the following:
The curls should be moistened with water, and then twisted into a flagellum.
On a flagellum, it is necessary to draw with chalk until the required color is obtained. Then the strands must be combed.
After that, they should dry. For this, you can use a hairdryer.
To fix everything better, you can use polish for your hair.
The main application error is the movement of small pieces from the tips to the roots, this injures the hair scales, making them brittle. Correct scheme: from top to bottom without return movements.
Try to apply the pigment, not with a bar of pastel, but crush it. Put a little chalk on a damp cotton pad and color the lock.
After washing your hair, always use a mask or balm, paying particular attention to the tips. Then, your curls will not be dried with chalk.
How Long Will I Have the Effect after Using a Hair Chalk?
If the procedure is done correctly, then the color lasts 1-2 days. But you should not be with such hair for more than 8 hours. With prolonged use, the hair becomes dry, especially when using hair polish.
Recommendations for use
Wash off the crayons before going to bed, because they can stain a pillow. You need to use them carefully.
Do not make hair chalk by yourself, since such a composition can adversely affect the condition of the hair. After that, professional help is needed to restore the hair structure. Hair restoration will cost you more than a package of hair chalk.
Is Hair Сhalk Safe?
Hair Chalk is not all natural cosmetic – the product is made of chemical substances like bentonite, calcium carbonate, and mica with added pigment. They are considered to cause minimal harm, but allergic reactions could be possible. if you are sensitive to its individual components. As usual, the chalk is not applied to the entire scalp, but if the case of redness or irritation, it is recommended to rinse your sclalp with a lot of warm water.
How Can I Remove the Color?
Rinsing off the chalks from the hair is quite simple since it is necessary to perform the standard procedure for washing hair. A simple way to comb your hair is available. To do this, it is better to take a comb with thick bristles. But it is recommended to use the first method. If the chalk is applied to dry curls, then it’s removed easily.
Top-5 Best Hair Chalks You Should Consider Buying
Here are only high-quality products made of safe ingredients. They have the same action but still, there are certain differences. Check what features each hair chalk set has to make a well-informed buying decision.
1. CIDBEST Temporary Bright Hair Chalk Set – Safe Choice for Kids
- 【Vibrant Colors Temporary Hair Chalk】12 bright colors make your hair as vibrant as you are. Mix and match them, pick your...
- 【Non-Toxic & Safe】Our hair chalk is made from non-toxic ingredients so it is safe for your hair and skin.
- 【Easy to Apply & Clean】Our hair color chalks are easy to apply and dry in 30 seconds and suitable for dry hair of any colors;...
This product has a high rating and is 100% recommended by those who have already used it.
2.Jumbo Hair Chalk Pen – More Color per One Stick
- 12 SCENTED HAIR CHALKS - Great For All Ages Fun Color Assortment
3. Hair Color Comb – Easy and Comfortable to Apply
- 💯【13 Temporary Bright Hair Chalk Combs】This vibrant hair color set includes 13 various hair chalks - blue, purple, green,...
- 👍【Safety & Easy to Clean】The hair color combs are made of lipstick raw material, which is environmentally friendly and...
- 🍭【Wide Usages】13 colors hair chalks set is a perfect gift for girls kids teens; these rainbow hair chalk paint will help...
These chalks are more effective for blonde hair. If you have brown or dark hair, you need to apply chalks on wet hair. It may be not always convenient to add water if you need to color hair at some party quickly.
4. Beskar Hair Chalk for Girls – Changing Your Image in Minutes
- 【Best Hair Chalk for Multi-Purpose】Assorted 12 most bright colors hair chalk pens are here for wide applications. You could...
- 【Non-Toxic, 100% Safe】Our hair chalk pen is non-toxic, non-allergenic, water-soluble and environmentally friendly. 100% safe...
- 【Easy to Apply & Wash Out】The temporary hair chalk for girls can easily apply to hair and change the hair color in a few...
5. Betterline Hair Chalk – The Widest Choice of Colors
- 🌈 A TEMPORARY TOUCH OF COLOR: Hair chalk colors your hair strands but washes out fully with your next shampoo It is so easy to...
- 🌈 EVERY COLOR OF THE RAINBOW: Set includes colorful crayon sticks of hair chalk for endless color possibilities
- 🌈 COMPLETELY SAFE FOR HAIR & SKIN: Our hair chalk is made from non-toxic ingredients so it is safe for your hair and skin. Make...
We have also prepared some reviews about the proper hairstyles for different shapes of face
- Hairstyles for Diamond Face
- Hairstyles for Heart Face and Round Face
- Hairstyles for Rectangle and Square Face
- Hairstyles For Triangle Face and Pear Face
- Best Hairstyles for Oblong and Oval Face
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.