- What is the Best Shampoo For Itchy Scalp?
- 1. Amplixin Scalp Therapy Shampoo – Best All-Around Shampoo
- 2. Baebody Tea Tree Oil Shampoo – Best Tea Tree Formula
- 3. CLn Healthy Scalp Shampoo – Best Clinical Formula
- 4. Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Conditioner – Best Value Set
- 5. Children’s Flake Fight Shampoo – Best for Kids
- Buyer’s Guide
- Tips for Treating an Itchy Scalp
An itchy scalp can drive you crazy and leave you with white flakes on your clothing and skin. Using the best shampoo for itchy scalp relief might give you the help that you need. You’ll find different types of shampoos that are safe for kids and adults.
What is the Best Shampoo For Itchy Scalp?
1. Amplixin Scalp Therapy Shampoo – Best All-Around Shampoo
- FLAKY SCALP TREATMENT - Specifically formulated with Tea Tree & Peppermint Oil to help treat dry, flaky scalp back...
- AMPLIGRO COMPLEX - Dry scalp can cause hair loss - our proprietary combination of Red Clover, Bio-Mimetic Peptides...
- PERFECT FOR ALL HAIR TYPES - Unlike other scalp treatment products, our shampoo can be used by everyone in the...
- SULFATE-FREE GUARANTEE - All Amplixin products are sulfate-free, paraben-free and cruelty-free without harsh...
Amplixin offers a Scalp Therapy Shampoo that offers some relief for those with dry and/or itchy scalp. Your scalp might itch because of the natural oils that your body produces or because you take too many showers. This shampoo is one of the only on the market that will work on all hair types, which makes it the best all-around shampoo.
The biggest issue that you might have with this scalp shampoo is its high cost. It costs significantly more than most other shampoos do. You may find that it doesn’t work for your specific needs and that it actually makes your dandruff worse.
Made from a combination of ingredients that include caffeine and red clover, this shampoo may help with both itching and hair loss. The itching that you experience can occur because of medical conditions that lead to hair loss. When you use this shampoo regularly, you may notice a significant reduction in the amount of hair that you lose.
Made in America
2. Baebody Tea Tree Oil Shampoo – Best Tea Tree Formula
- TEA TREE OIL SHAMPOO: This Tea Tree Oil Shampoo helps rid hair & scalp of impurities & restores natural luster. If...
- CLEANSE & MOISTURIZE: Tea Tree Oil is nature's calming & healing agent, known for its cleaning properties. It's an...
- BAEBODY BEAUTY INNOVATION: Across our line of hair & skincare products, we aim to help you look & feel fabulous...
- YOUR HEALTH COMES FIRST TO US: Because your hair, skin & body health comes Before Anyone Else, our natural, safe &...
People all around the world used tea tree oil for years, but this Baebody shampoo is the best shampoo for itchy scalp relief that uses tea tree oil. This simple oil has healing properties that can help you combat the inflammation and swelling on your scalp, which might lead to a reduction in the itching that you feel. That oil makes the formula safe for use on all types of hair.
Blend of Ingredients
Easy and Convenient
Though other shampoos come in small standard bottles, this one comes in a 16-ounce bottle with a pump dispenser on the top. Its larger size provides you with enough shampoo for months of use, even if you share it with others in your household. The pump dispenser rotates to lock the lid down for transport and to open it when you need some shampoo.
3. CLn Healthy Scalp Shampoo – Best Clinical Formula
- HIGH PERFORMANCE SHAMPOO: CLn Shampoo was physician-developed to effectively and thoroughly cleanse normal-to-oily...
- FLAKE-FREE HAIR: Formulated with salicylic acid and sodium hypochlorite, CLn Shampoo removes unwanted oils, dead...
- FRAGRANCE FREE: CLn Shampoo leaves nothing behind but healthy-looking hair and scalps. It is fragrance-free, and...
- HYPOALLERGENIC: CLn Shampoo is hypoallergenic and is designed to be used 1-3 times a week for scalps or beards...
For Medical Conditions
No matter what type of medical conditions you have, you might find some relief when you use this shampoo. The manufacturer claims that it works on those battling dermatitis and folliculitis, which occurs when you suffer from inflammation and irritation in your hair follicles. This product is safe to use on facial hair too and can help treat itchy beards.
Not for Daily Use
One reason why this shampoo is so popular is that it cleans your pores at the same time that it cleans your hair. The formula gets deep into your pores to remove the environmental toxins that you pick up every day. It can also remove skin cells and other debris to soften your hair and make your skin look better.
Safe for Sensitive Skin
Green: As this is one of the only hypoallergenic shampoos on the market, it’s safe for those with sensitive skin. It does not have any harsh chemicals that might irritate your skin or any artificial fragrances that can clog your pores. This is a clinical shampoo that might improve the look and texture of your beard and hair as it reduces your itching.
4. Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Conditioner – Best Value Set
- REDUCE DANDRUFF with pure tea tree essential oil shampoo and conditioner set. Scientifically formulated to gently...
- ITCHY SCALP RELIEF reduce scratching itching and flaking with soothing essential oils. Anti Dandruff & moisturizing...
- IMPROVES HAIR’S APPEARANCE therapeutic scalp treatment balances scalp and helps hair to look and feel soft smooth...
- PACKED WITH VITAMINS Jojoba Argan Oil Shea Butter Pomegranate Hibiscus Green Tea Sea Buckthorn Silk Amino Acids...
Yellow: While some people might claim that you should avoid moisture when you suffer from dandruff, adding more moisture to your scalp can actually reduce the appearance of those white flakes. This shampoo and conditioner set has a moisturizing formula that can hydrate your hair and scalp. That hydration might reduce the white flakes that you see on your hair and clothing.
The tea tree oil used in this shampoo can reduce the number of microbes and fungi found on the human scalp. You can pick up microbes and other environmental toxins every day that you step outside of your home. This formula uses both tea tree oil and rosemary oil to remove the flakes that make your scalp itch and to help your hair grow.
5. Children’s Flake Fight Shampoo – Best for Kids
- natural dandruff shampoo for kids this therapeutic shampoo for kids helps reduce dandruff flakes for healthy hair...
- safe for daily use our shampoo is designed especially for children. this gentle shampoo protects your child’s...
- gentle shampoo with natural ingredients this shampoo contains a blend of nourishing natural ingredients including...
- hypoallergenic shampoo- our anti-dandruff shampoo is specially formulated for kids. it is hypoallergenic tear free...
Safe for Regular Use
Though the Flake Fight Shampoo uses only natural ingredients, it has a nice and light fragrance that both kids and their parents alike. This formula uses lavender, which can soothe a fussy baby or child at bedtime. It also uses tea tree oil to heal irritated spots on your child’s scalp and to reduce itching.
Too Much Like Regular Shampoo
What Causes an Itchy Scalp?
The most common reason why your scalp itches are because you suffer from dandruff. Dandruff can occur because you have a dry scalp, which allows the oils produced to build upon your head. Those oils become large white flakes that you might see in your hair or on your clothing. Dandruff can also make the parts of your scalp that you see look inflamed or red.
Are There Other Reasons Why Your Scalp Might Itch?
Dandruff is far from the only cause of your itchy scalp. You might notice some itching because of an allergic reaction to a product that you recently used. If the itching comes on quite suddenly, you should look at whether you used any new products in the past. A build-up of sweat and debris can also make your scalp itch. This is common among those who wash their hair less frequently and those who go without bathing for several days. It’s also possible that your scalp might itch because you need to change your sheet or pillowcase.
When Should You See a Doctor?
Most of the more common reasons why your scalp itches are conditions that you can treat at home. You can try using any of the best shampoos for itchy scalp relief before deciding whether to talk to your doctor. If you experience any other symptoms with your itchy scalp, including inflammation that causes pain or itching that lasts for weeks or longer, you should talk to your doctor. A dermatologist might recommend that you use a prescription shampoo or that you make some lifestyle changes.
What is Cradle Cap?
Cradle cap is a type of medical condition that infants can develop. It often occurs because of the condition called dermatitis. Dermatitis occurs when the scalp is either too dry or too oily. Skin cells can build up on the surface of the scalp and turn a yellowish color. Infants and babies can develop a rash that is yellow in color and crusty or dry to the touch, which is a cradle cap.
Can You Use an Anti-Itch Shampoo if You Dye Your Hair?
Color-treated hair requires some general maintenance and upkeep. If you use the wrong products, you risk stripping that color from your hair or finding that the color fades faster than it should. Before you use any anti-dandruff or anti-itch shampoo, you should make sure that it’s safe to use on color-treated hair. Products that contain chemicals generally aren’t safe for use on that type of hair.
Is There a “Right Way” to Use Anti-Itch Shampoo?
What are Some of the Benefits of a Tea Tree Oil Shampoo?
You might notice that many of the top shampoos for those with an itchy scalp are products that contain tea tree oil. Not only is tea tree oil a natural ingredient, but it has a number of benefits that can help when it comes to an itchy or painful scalp. This oil has healing properties that can treat the underlying reasons for your itching. It does a good job of reducing inflammation and can remove debris from your pores.
How Long Does it Take to See Results?
There really isn’t a one size fits all answer to this question because it depends on the cause of your itchy scalp and the type of hair that you have. While some people notice results just one time after using a new shampoo, others may not see any improvements until they shampoo their hair three or four times. If you choose a clinical product, it may take even longer because the formula needs more time to get deep into your scalp and heal it.
Tips for Treating an Itchy Scalp
Though you might think that you need to shower every day, this can actually strip your body of the natural oils that it produces. When you strip the oils from your hair and scalp, you risk developing dandruff and seeing dead skin cells and other debris flaking off your head. Even if you must shower every day, you should avoid washing your hair each time that you step in the tub. You really only need to wash your hair once every three days or so. Some people can get by with washing their hair even less.
Avoid Hair Products
Depending on your age, you might remember teasing your hair and adding enough hairspray that you could smell that product all over your home. While hair product formulas changed quite a bit since the 1970s and 1980s, the products that you use today can still clog your pores. Clogged pores are one of the leading causes of dandruff, but this is something that you can control. You can simply change the number of products that you use and use less of those items every day. This includes both hairspray and gel and any specialty products designed for curly or straight hair.
Change Your Diet
You might not think twice about your diet when dealing with an itchy scalp, but some of the foods that you eat can cause an increase in your symptoms. Processed foods are among the worst things that you can eat. This includes those trips to the fast-food restaurant on the way home from work and the sugary snacks that you grab between meals. Alcohol and gluten can make your scalp itch too. Even if you do not have a gluten intolerance, you may want to cut back on the amount of gluten that you eat. Some people experience an itchy scalp because they eat a lot of sugary and high-calorie foods too.
Use the Right Products
The best way to reduce the itchiness you feel on your scalp is with the right products. You really need to pick a good shampoo and use it as often as the manufacturer recommends. While some products are safe to use on your and your children’s scalps on a daily basis, others are a little harsher and are only safe for using a few times a week. You may want to use a combo set that includes both a shampoo and a matching conditioner too.
An itchy scalp can wreak havoc on your personal and professional lives. No one wants to look twice at that gal or guy who constantly scratches his or her scalp. If you have white flakes from dandruff sticking to your clothing, you might lose out on job promotions at work and have clients hesitate to work with you. The best shampoos for itchy scalp relief use tea tree oil and other natural ingredients that will help you combat that itching. You might even feel a little more confident because the right shampoo cures your dandruff too.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.