Locking seems so difficult without useful products that can soften and untangle hair. Besides, almost any manipulations can be harmful to your locks, leading to damage and breakage. A high-quality locking gel must be a part of the routine if you want to repair and moisturize your hair, leaving the locks neat due to stronghold.
We’ve created a detailed TOP-5 of such gels for you, presenting the best products found on Amazon. Following the list, you can find some useful information on locking and keeping your hair healthy.
What is the Best Locking Gel on the Market?
1. Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Lock & Braid Butter – 100% Vegan Formula
- Delivers intense moisture to locs and braids
- Softens, conditions and leaves hair more resistance to breakage
- For dry, over processed hair
This is a 6-ounce container with natural butter that will soften and moisturize your hair. Butter is a great way out if your hair breaks a lot or if you want to promote hair growth. It has a very thick consistency but distributes very well.
This product will:
Due to Jamaican black castor oil and its numerous nutrients, this gel makes your hair stronger and more flexible. Omegas are especially good for that, and JBCO has quite a lot of them. The hair becomes shinier and overall neater and healthier.
● Improve hair growth
Peppermint is another significant ingredient in this gel. It helps activate the scalp and hair follicles, making them stronger and improving hair growth.
● Moisturize your hair and scalp
Raw shea butter is one of the major ingredients, it helps moisturize and enrich damaged hair with nutrients.
● Control frizz
Due to the natural formula of the gel that penetrates every piece of hair, any hairdo will look very neat and frizz will be tamed.
There are no safety concerns since the ingredients used for this line are vegan. Still, make sure you, your children, or pets don’t ingest it. Due to its concentration, the product may be a mild irritant.
The manufacturer specifies there’s no:
● No petrolatum
● No mineral oils
● No parabens
● No sulfates
● No phthalates
Our team recommends this product. It’s for those who try to be as friendly to nature as possible. Its 100% vegan formula offers all the same benefits for your hair without having to use silicones. Some say the latter is the fastest helper for their hair strength, but we’re moving towards an eco-friendly future, right? This all-natural formula is great for frizz-control and leaves your hairdo neat even after several days.
Pros and Cons
2. ORS Lock and Twist Gel – No Residue
- Cream hair gel formula.
- Natural hair care.
- Perfect for all natural styles.
The product comes in a 13-ounce container and combines two of the most wanted things from a locking gel: stronghold and moisture lock. There’s no flaking, the gel dries clear, and fits all-natural hairstyles.
This gel is as good for the initial twist as it is for touch-ups. Apply it in-between shampoos and twist the newly-grown length to freshen up the hairdo.
The gel doesn’t contain silicone, and while it’s a matter of dispute whether silicones are good or bad for your hair, we still consider its absence a major advantage. It does contain propylene glycol, though, and two kinds of parabens. The proportions are safe to use but if you’re looking for an all-natural option, this isn’t one.
This gel is great for all-natural hairstyles. Although it contains some chemicals, the proportions don’t seem to damage your hair while providing a stronghold. There are no silicones, though, and the product doesn’t leave any residue even after multiple consequential uses. The latter is great if you’re traveling a lot and can’t afford a full hair care routine.
Pros and Cons
3. African Pride Black Castor Miracle Extra Hold Braid, Lock, Twist Gel – Natural Formula
- PROVEN HAIR CARE - African Pride Black Castor Miracle Extra Hold Braid, Loc, & Twist Gel smooths frizz & flyaways while boosting...
- FEATURED INGREDIENTS - Enriched with Black Castor Oil: Nourishes scalp and helps to promote hair growth; Coconut Oil: Deeply...
- NATURALLY FORMULATED - The ingredients within African Pride products are free of harmful components, including parabens, mineral...
This gel is stored in 8 oz containers. It offers premium care if used with other products from the line. The gel smells great yet has a natural formula that nourishes and protects your hair from damage. You get all the features without mineral oils, petrolatum, and sulfates.
The product provides
● Neat twists
● Controlled frizz
● No flyaways
● Long-lasting result
One of the ingredients is black castor oil that improves the speed and quality of hair growth and enriches the follicles and scalp with nutrients. Another element in the mix is coconut oil that is known to deeply hydrate skin and hair, locking moisture there for a long time.
This is another natural option for stylish hair. It’s very easy to use: just wet your hair, apply some of the product to the roots and/or hairline, style the hair, and dry the hairstyle. The non-toxic formula makes it suitable for more people, especially during this time when we try to be more aware of the global eco-problems.
Pros and Cons
4. Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair Moisturizing Twist & Lock Gel – Great Detangling Properties
- Adds manageability to hair
- Keeps frizz under control for a silky smooth hold hair.
- For a silky smooth hold
This is a 13-ounce container full of shea butter softness. It’s thick, quite heavy, and free of toxins. The product makes your hair silky and shiny, maintaining the condition of your hairdo for many days. It’s good for people who sweat frequently. Usually, when the scalp sweats, the product in it tends to change the shape of the hairstyle. The Cantu line will still hold your hair and keep it frizz-free.
● Nourishes hair due to shea butter content
● Controls frizz and edges
● Makes any twist and braid shiny and neat
● Softens hair
It’s a very good option for natural hair. The product makes even the worst tangles more manageable. For such situations, though, it’s better to have more than one untangling item in the routine.
The whole Cantu line works great for any natural hairstyle. It gives that neat look, calms down all the loose hairs and tames the edges. The result doesn’t look fake yet the hair is shiny and smells great. The gel dries clear and doesn’t leave a residue.
Pros and Cons
5. Joie Naturals MyGel Hair Styling Gel – Easy Braiding
- Specially-formulated hair gel stimulates and nourishes your hair shafts to give a thicker, and healthier look.
- Rich ingredients such as plant oils and extracts of herbs promotes healthy hair growth.
- Works as a great styling aid, especially for locks.
This gel comes in tiny 4-ounce containers, which is great for frequent travelers. It promotes hair growth, makes weak hair stronger and helps condition it. As a result, you get neater braids that are easier to make.
● Makes hair look thicker
● Promotes faster and healthier hair growth due to plant oils and herb extracts
● Works as a conditioner as well
It’s recommended to apply it to the roots, especially on the areas with weak hair. Massage the scalp well after use, and only then style the locks.
This product is half styling, half healing mix. It can help you treat balding spots and areas with weak hair. For longer hair, make sure you have more than one container. 4 ounces isn’t too much of a volume. We recommend this product for conditioning and styling, but if you have too many loose hairs or need to keep your edges under control, consider adding another product with a stronger hold.
Pros and Cons
Buyer’s Guide: Toxins to Stay Away from and Useful Locking Tips
4 Hair Care Product Ingredients That May Damage Your Hair
On a quest for more natural hair care, let’s try to move away from the following:
● Coal tar
● Imidazolidinyl Urea and DMDM Hydantoin
● Propylene glycol
Tips for Locking Faster and Better
Getting back from the gloomy toxic town, here are some great tips on faster locking:
● Be wise with the choice of products; they don’t “create” locks, your hands or comb do, they are only helpers
● Wear a satin scarf or another protective cover at night to prevent loose hairs and entanglement
● Look for a professional opinion before you do your first locks
● Don’t use lock jewelry for at least the first 4-6 months to avoid holes in your locks
Nourish Your Hair on Every Step of Locking
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.