- What Is The Best Brush for Curly Hair?
- 1. 2 Pieces Detangling Brush – Amazon’s Choice
- 2. Crave Naturals Glide Thru Detangling Brush – Editor’s Choice
- 3. Boar Bristle Hairbrush – Best for Curved & Oversized Head
- 4. Michel Mercier Detangling Brush Girlie – Best Brush for Kids Curly Hair
- 5. Janeke Superbrush Detangler Brush Anti-static Hairbrush – The Must-Have Accessory For All Curly Hair
- Buyer’s Guide & Tips on How to Take Care of Curly Hair
Have you grown frustrated over time with how difficult it is to care for your dense and naturally curly hair? Is the process of detangling your hair often painful and sore? Perhaps your brush is the problem.
This article is for people of all ages who share in this struggle of naturally curly and dense hair. Find out what brushes are in the market and choose the one that works best for you. Here is a review of Top 5 brushes that are worth your time and money.
What Is The Best Brush for Curly Hair?
1. 2 Pieces Detangling Brush – Amazon’s Choice
- Package include: come with 2 pieces detangling brushes, and each piece with a detachable bracket at the back,...
- Powerful function: hair tangle comb is auitable for African-Americans, also is helpful for people who has hair...
- Improved workmanship: ABS resin makes the comb lighter than rubber material, nylon needles enhanced the durability...
- Intimate design: hair detangler brush with a detachable bracket for fixing and stretching the bristle, whose back...
It has round needles and separate bristles which allows for knot removal and combing of curls without the danger of pulling the hair or causing harm to the scalp. The comb is also easy to clean and waterproof. It contains ABS resin which makes the comb lighter than any material made of rubber.
The durability and firmness of the bristles are enhanced by the use of nylon needles while its curved grip and matte surface make it less susceptible to slipping.
Most customers gave this product a positive review. One noted that for best results, the comb needs to be used correctly; detangling needs to begin with vertical movement first, which is then followed up by horizontal strokes. This is especially suitable for people with long and curly hair.
Pros & Cons
2. Crave Naturals Glide Thru Detangling Brush – Editor’s Choice
- Original Glide Thru Brush - Ever since the Glide Thru Detangling Brush launched, other companies have tried to copy...
- The Best at Removing Knots and Tangles – Ordinary bristle brushes work against the hair, basically ripping...
- Child Friendly – No more fits when it's time to get ready to go out! The Glide Thru brush doesn't dig into the...
- Gentle on Wet and Dry Hair – Other brushes have beads at the end that can dig into the scalp, pull at hair...
Their stand-out feature is the firm and quality bristles which retain their shape even after prolonged use. Ordinary bristle brushes have a working mechanism that goes against the hair thus ripping through and pulling out the knotted hair. This brush separates the hair sideways as opposed to downwards, thus gently unraveling even the tangles that appear toughest.
Most customers give a positive review for this product. It seems to be especially popular for children’s hair due to their sensitive nature. One father reported using it on his daughter’s severely knotted head. The brush is the only tool that helps untangle this through a painless process and giving her a feel-good experience at the end. Another father narrates his experience with his daughter who had an extremely sensitive head. She would cry any time someone attempted to try and untangle her hair. However, he reports that since beginning his use of this product it has become a painless experience.
Pros & Cons
3. Boar Bristle Hairbrush – Best for Curved & Oversized Head
- 🌹REFUSE TO HAVE DRY, MANIC HAIR: Our boar bristle hair brush easily penetrates through normal and thick hair,...
- 🌷ELABORATE, EXQUISITE CRAFT: Carefully selected bristles and handmade nylon ball tips ensure quality. The nylon...
- 🌹FOR ALL HAIR TYPES: The boar bristle hair brushes is great for thick, thin, curly, long, short, wet or dry...
- 🌷EASY TO USE, EASY TO CLEAN: The ergonomic wooden paddle handle feels comfortable. This easy to use brush gives...
One key feature is that it has vents for blow-drying. This assures faster drying when using a blow-dryer – its handles are rubberized giving it a comfortable grip for this purpose.
The brush also comes with a curved and oversized head. This makes it ideal for all forms. This feature allows it to have optimum contact points and angles with the scalp hence stimulating natural hair oil.
Most customers gave this product a positive review. One remarked that the design of the brush is great, allowing for smooth movement through thick natural hair. Another one noted that the dual layer of bristles gives the brush an extended reach, thus not letting it miss even a single strand of hair.
Generally, gets the job done.
Pros & Cons
4. Michel Mercier Detangling Brush Girlie – Best Brush for Kids Curly Hair
- ✔ TECHNOLOGY – Thands to its 244 bristles of different heights and widths, our patented and cutting edge...
- ✔ PAINFREE - No more tears, your beloved kid will enjoy a painless and pleasant brushing experience.
- ✔ KID-FRIENDLY :Its unique ergonomic handle adapted to children's hands will allow a better grip & encourage...
- ✔ COLORS- The brushes are available in three color-coded models for fine, normal and thick hair.
The material used to make the Kinder brush is high quality, strong and durable, yet light in weight, and also quite easy to clean. The brush is ideal for use on both wet and dry hair making it the perfect companion in the shower.
When used alongside a conditioner, it results in the removal of all tangles and still manages to massage the scalp.
This product is special, as it generally received positive reviews from customers who have used it before. One gave the assurance that the product works just as it has been advertised. The brush does a good job of clumping curly thick hair just as it is supposed to. Although they did not feel like it was as easy to clean, they claim it is worth the hustle. Another user termed the product a miracle. They were impressed by its lightweight and almost effortless working mechanism.
Pros & Cons
5. Janeke Superbrush Detangler Brush Anti-static Hairbrush – The Must-Have Accessory For All Curly Hair
- ðŸ’«1 BRUSH IN PACK! - Janeke - SUPERBRUSH - The Original Italian Patent! Superbrush Janeke1830 is a new line...
- ðŸ’«From detangling to styling, the SUPERBRUSH does it all! No more damage and no tangle for hair! The Italian...
- ðŸ’«Effective when using hair dryer! The hot air of the hair dryer is evenly distributed on the hair without...
- ðŸ’«Perfect for ALL HAIR TYPES! The paddle brush is great for short, medium and long hair. Brush can be used...
The product has an open cushion design. This makes it ideal for the elimination of bacteria and the prevention of product build-up while in the shower. The flexy brush also has flexible and multi-dimensional silicone bristles which make it suitable for sensitive scalps and stubborn knots. The brush has a form of dual-action through its two-type bristles. The uniquely longer bristles aid in exfoliation of the scalp, while its shorter bristles serve to remove the tangles in the hair.
This product was mostly appreciated by customers with significantly curly hair. It takes significantly less time to detangle hair than it would if you were using a regular brush. The experience is also relatively painless.
One user did not seem very satisfied though. Although agreeing with the brush’s ability to detangle dense curly hair, they complained about the openness of the back of the brush. This resulted in water and hair getting stuck at these points thus trapping germs and bacteria of all kinds. Equally, the big paddle head was a deterrent in their use.
Pros & Cons
Buyer’s Guide & Tips on How to Take Care of Curly Hair
Only those with naturally curly hair understand the painful and sometimes irritating struggle of having to deal with tangled hair. Moreover, this type of hair makes styling it an unpredictable affair. Although sometimes such factors may drive you to envy those with straight hair, there is something unique and catchy about curls that make them impossible to trade for anything.
Curly hair is easily susceptible to breakage and thus requires specific efforts in order to manage it in a way that results in a glossy, bouncy, and voluminous end-product.
The following Tips should be helpful in achieving this
The dry nature of naturally curly hair occurs because of the failure of oils produced by the scalp to reach the end of your hair strands. This is often caused by the kinks and curls. Keeping the hair moisturized using a curl-specific conditioner defines the curls, thus making them soft and smooth with a distinct shine.
Those prone to a frizz will find the nourishing serum to be a welcome companion. Applying it to damp or dry hair helps tame frizzy hair resulting in a shinier and more manageable styling.
Refrain from towel-drying your hair after washing it. This will always result in frizzy hair when done. The alternative for this is immediately after washing, tilt your head forward, and give it a gentle upward squeeze. This will release the excess water.
A significant part of curly hair is learning the art of drying it gently and minimally. Blowing your hair also needs to be done alongside a diffuser. This reduces the chances of frizz since it ensures the heat has been distributed evenly. This brush requires care so as not to overdry it. Leaving the surplus to dry out naturally produces better results
Although this might seem contrary to everything you have been taught about hair care so far, believe it. Brushing is too aggressive on hair that is naturally curly. It will result in pulling out of the natural curl, causing it to lose its definition and frizz.
If it is necessary to undo a tangle, first make the hair wet, then use a wide-toothed comb, starting at the ends of the hair and working upwards to limit the chances of breakage.
Products are best applied when the hair is mostly wet. This helps to lock in the moisture and maintain the curls in a thick and lustrous condition. Most products will help lock in this moisture, nourishing the hair and making it visibly smooth and bouncy.
Choosing the Best Brush for Curly Hair
Choosing the right tool is key for the work that lies ahead of you. The right comb and brush will result in stopped breakage, alleviated split ends, and a controlled frizz. Each of these combs and brushes has different abilities which make them ideal for every desired end-product.
Boar bristle brushes and nylon bristle brushes are mostly ideal for styling dry hair. Therefore, they should not be used on wet hair because these strands are far more fragile in this condition. Using them for dry hair, however, is great for softening curls or gently detangling your hair before washing.
Remember to detangle your hair from tip to root and not the other way around to contain breakage. Where the teeth are too close together for your curls, begin the detangling process with a wide comb or your own fingers, all in a bid to avoid accidental breakage.
Styling dry hair is best achieved using boar bristle brushes or nylon bristle brushes. Round barrel brushes are ideal when the intent is to straighten out the curls, with the diameter of the barrel settled on depending on the amount of volume wanted.
Wider brushes provide more lift at the base while those with a smaller diameter more ideal when dealing with short hair.
Caring for your curly hair is not an easy experience. At times it may be painful and often annoying. Under the right guidance and with the right tool in hand, it can be a pleasurable experience. The different products have their specifications which make them ideal for customers of different demographics.
This hurdle can be achieved by first establishing exactly what you want to get out of your brush. Once this is cleared up, the set of specifications you have settled on can then be compared against the different brushes on offer here. This will guide you towards making an objective choice.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.